I have LOTS of lemons from my sister in law’s parent’s backyard (organic no doubt!) and a container of Medjool dates that’s been sitting in my fridge for a while. So how about combining lemon juice with pitted dates as a marinate instead?
Lemon Date Chicken
6-8 chicken drumsticks or leg quarters -skins removed
2 shallots – chopped
1/2 clove of garlic -chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
About 1 cup of fresh lemon juice
Zest of 1 lemon
5-6 pitted medjool dates -soaked in hot water
Optional: Handful of lemon basil
Substitution: you can use green onions, parsley or other fresh herbs of your choice.
1. Soak the pitted medjool dates in hot water
2. Grate the lemon zest using your grater before juicing it.
3. Blend the soaked dates and lemon juice in your food processor (I love my Magic Bullet for this! Small and easy clean up afterward)
4. Place the chicken in a gallon size (big) zip lock bag, rub in salt and pepper and pour in the marinate. Make sure the chicken are all covered. Marinate for about 1 hour or overnight for better taste.
5. Place the chicken in the non reactive baking dish. Pre heat oven in 350°F.
6. Topped with chopped lemon basil leaves
7. Bake for about 1 hour in 350°F or until the chicken are cooked (juice should run clear when pierced with fork). Flip the chicken halfway through.
8. Remove from the oven and let cool for a bit.
As usual, enjoy!